Saturday, January 3, 2009

Shot?!!!

Where do I start? After returning from the hospital with the baby it was not long after I found myself back again. It was Tuesday and Ryan decided he would finish up some Christmas shopping two days before Christmas to help me out. While he was shopping I went to my moms house (It was an outing but not to much to soon and that way we did not have to take the baby out with all the crazy shoppers and their RSV) So a few hours go by and I receive a call from Ryan's cell phone. I could not make out for sure who it was but one of his siblings were crying and they said that Ryan had been shot!!! Apparently he was stopped helping a lady jump her car and when returning to his vehicle the slamming of the door sent his 17 off, hitting him in the lower abdomen by his kidney. Shocked by this tragic gun malfunction I struggled to my feet so that I could hand the baby to my dad. Luckily my aunt Andy and Abbie were there so they would take me over and my mom would follow with the baby when he was hungry. When I got to the hospital Ryan was in getting Cat scans so I could not see him yet; but it was the results that relieved me. Holding Ryan's hand they told us that the fragments missed his kidney by one centimeter and were distributed throughout his muscle and fat!!!
This was a lot to handle after having a baby but we are so blessed that things worked out the way they did!! They do not do a lot for gun shot wombs so we were sent home with a lot of pain and some gauze to let things slowly heel. I know that someone was watching out for Ryan Braxton and I. Sometimes it takes something like this to help you realize the important things in life.



7 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh! I am sorry. Glad to hear that it worked out though, too bad it had to happen though.

Ashley Wilson said...

OMG Mandy I am freaking out!! I can't believe that happened! I bet you about freaked when you got that phone call, I am so so so glad everything is alright, how scary!

The Davis Family said...

WOW!! What a miracle! Im so glad everything turned out okay! I hope you and the family is doing good!!! YOu baby is adorable. I wanna come see ya soon. Let me know!! Goodluck with everything!

Nick and Amera said...

Oh my goodness what an overwhelming experience especially after having a baby! I am so glad he is ok, that is such a scary "way too close to home" experience! You can definatly tell that your family is special and your all here for a very special reason since EVERYONE is ok! Oh and little Braxton, he is gorgeous! Im so glad your loving motherhood, it truely is so rewarding and the fun part is, IT ONLY GETS BETTER! Fun times and morefun times are ahead! You will LOVE IT! Congrats on the new addition and we're happy Ryan is ok!!

{We Are The Wade's} said...

You have no idea who I am, but I am Sara and Devin's sister-in-law Shea.

But...the same exact thing happened to my cousin but he got shot in the head when the gun went off! Luckily he's alright, but still very scary! So, be so careful with that!! Congrats on the baby!

saraanddevin said...

this does make for a pretty dang cool story ; )!!! but i am glad ryan is ok!!!!

M & T Peterson said...

Mandie! Of course I remember you! How could I forget our lovely chats in Math Class!? Your baby is beautiful! They are such a blessing. Keep in touch!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Pregnancy Ticker